Lead Developer / Core Architect
ACT’s Core Infrastructure team is seeking a lead developer / core architect to help build the zero carbon footprint future version of our planet. Sounds interesting? Read on.
We believe that the core problem of global warming is lack of global collaboration. Our goal is to support and enhance global collaboration facilitated by an ecosystem of carefully crafted software systems. Just like Wikipedia is a computer facilitated collaboration platform around building the world’s biggest encyclopedia – so will ACT enable collaboration around green shopping and help humans ACT together for a sustainable planet so that we can do our part to end global warming and also support fair trade.
- ACT is software technology with smart gamification to connect consumers around sustainable shopping and collaboration.
- The immediate goal of ACT is to reduce climate gasses and possibly be the “solution” to global climate change.
- ACT is a role model of a democratic organization: Max. factor of 8 between highest and lowest paid, all employee members have 1 vote. ACT is an independent trusted commerce partner - no one person or organization can control ACT.
- All software is expected to be open source and free, so that all can take action.
We have just finished a major design phase and now wish to start serious development of the software platform. We are looking to tell the world about our extraordinary solution for ACTion, that we believe will change the way we manage global climate change almost overnight.
We need to strengthen our team, our advisory board and council with experienced resources within multiple fields: Management, Communication/journalism/marketing, Financial management, Fundraising, Life cycle analysis & research, Graphical design, Web development, Mobile development, Backend development, Networking.
Have you ever thought that it is impossible to solve global climate change and that your effort would mean so little?
What if you had the chance to work with one of the most ambitious climate change projects? We believe that ACT is one of the most hands-on solutions to mitigating climate change. These might sound like just 'great words,' but do the math yourself: E.g. If only 17,000 people decided to use ACT to find the least fossil fuel consuming goods, service alternatives and register their purchases it would deliver a combined purchasing power of 63 million USD/year after tax*, which is the same amount Norway uses to conserve the Amazonas rainforest! And those 17,000 people could decide to ACT tomorrow!
* Assuming an average shopping of 300 USD/month.
JOB DESCRIPTION, LEAD DEVELOPER / CORE ARCHITECT
We need one clever and highly motivated lead developer / core architect to join our Core Infrastructure team in this exciting phase that will have a serious impact on sustainability of our planet.
The Core Infrastructure team is building the very foundation upon which the rest of the ACT organization will be standing so it has to be built as solid as a rocket.
These systems will be formed by a highly cohesive, loosely coupled service-oriented architecture so you must have a deep experience building such systems from the ground up.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable in a small, talented, self-organized, responsible, high-performance team that implements solutions for the most hands-on solution to mitigate global climate change.
We are looking for folks who:
- have a Master degree or Ph.D. in computer science
- understand what computers can do and what can happen when you put a lot of them to work at the same time
- can create cross-continental systems with 24/7 availability. You probably dream about monitoring, self-healing, scalability and software quality when you sleep and drool in a messy way when you hear someone say “I think we might have a problem here”
- has a strong understanding of and experience with the core principles of software craftsmanship e.g. importance of sound architecture, high-quality code and the ability to optimize it at run-time
- have 5+ years of experience with building loosely coupled systems using web technology (Node.js background is a plus) with a massive amount of users (counted in the millions of concurrent users)
- are convinced that TDD is the way to go and has experience from implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests
- have a no non-sense attitude (KISS)
- can take the lead as both Architect and Developer
- can demonstrate teamwork and good established effective working relations with other people of diverse background
- can demonstrate resourcefulness and creativity in problem solving
- can demonstrate fluent command of written and spoken English
- have expertise in the full Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), from concept and design to testing
- have hands-on experience from Agile/Scrum development process and code reviews
- have experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- have experience using version control repositories (preferably Git)
- have extensive experience with transactional queues
- have experience with management of hosting environment, including database administration and scaling an application to support load changes
- have experience from data migration, transformation, and scripting
- have experience from setup and administration of backups
- have an understanding of differences between multiple delivery platforms such as mobile vs desktop, and optimizing output to match the specific platform
In addition it would be helpful if you:
- have some knowledge of Elastic Search
- have some knowledge of NoSQL databases
- have at best expert knowledge of Node.js
- have experience with Evans DDD, TDD, BDD, OOP, Agile – Scrum framework
- have at best proficient understanding of security principles
- Directly responsible for the core architecture
- Directly responsible for making sure that quality is a first-class citizen
- Directly responsible for the day-to-day planning an execution of the development efforts. We are not (like ever) going to have a fat and slow management layer hanging around.
- Directly responsible for keeping the technical debt down so that we can sustainably deliver with a high velocity.
- Building reusable code and libraries for future use
- Optimization of the application for maximum speed and scalability
- Implementation of security and data protection
- Design and implementation of data storage solutions
- Design and implementation of solutions for dev<->production support (DevOps, SiteOps, Continuous Delivery, Continuous Deployment etc.)
The lead developer / core architect will work as co-founder directly and closely with the original founders and be a part of our small team of entrepreneurs with a flat organizational structure. Since the company is in an early phase you will be able to shape your role in the company exactly how you like it best.
This job should at best be carried out as much as possible in co-location with ACT.
Please send your CV and some words introducing yourself, why you want to work with ACT, highlight relevant previous experience and your current situation.
For more information about this job and ACT please contact:
President, Founder & CTO
ACT Cooperative Corporation AS
jobs (at) aacctt.org